Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Unplugged... (I dare you!)

Could you do it? Could you unplug from this constant information overload for an hour? A day? A week? How long could you go without that psychological contact and safety that being plugged in gives you?

I was cruising the internet trying to decide my next step in this huge process of becoming self-reliant. I was confronted with a scenario of where we are in full disaster mode (you decide the scene) and the public is nervous, confused, cracking. Then add losing our modes of communication (tv, cell phones, computer). Civilized society is going to break down. Quickly. In a very bad way. I really hadn't thought that through before.

Getting a ham radio license has been on my priority list to purchase and get used to BEFORE anything may happen, but I didn't realize that the ham radio outposts are also going to go down in a relatively short time. There are solar powered stations, but not enough.

So, what is left? How will this all play out? I have no idea, but there are a couple of things to think about.

***How addicted are you to your electronic devices? Envision a world where they are turned into paperweights and find out where your stress level is. 

***What is your plan to communicate with the people you love? Seeing that they are o.k. and to assure them that you are o.k. during a disaster is going to relieve that psychological tension. 

Before I began down this road to self-sufficiency, the first thing that had to be decided on (before one can of beans was purchased) was, "Am I a survivor?" The answer was a resounding, "YES!"

Ask yourself that question. Are YOU a survivor? Are you willing to be all alone? To refuse government help (that won't be there anyway)? To be in a position of power and not pity? To protect what is yours at all cost? Well, if you answered, No" to any of the above questions, you are unfortunately going to be part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

Let's spend some days, weeks, months getting our brain in the game. I want that for you. I really do!



No comments:

Post a Comment