Saturday, July 21, 2012

Canning Beans and Dogs


O.K. I am coming clean right here and now. Before I begin with this recipe there is something that you must know. I don't care much for beans and hot dogs. Now being a native Mainer, that is almost as blasphemous as not liking lobster or blueberries.

 BUT...knowing that the "you know what" could hit the fan at any time, I have been working on finding more ways to can more things. I used to be a "freeze everything" gal, but with power outages for any length of time, how much of the freezer's contents can I actually prepare and feed to my family before it all becomes inedible?

Yes, all of the fruits and vegetables that I store away are wonderful, but I know how important protein is in a human's ability to sustain the body while performing everyday tasks. So, when I came across this recipe I thought, heck I bought a 25 pound bag of pinto beans and haven't done anything with them yet. Let's give it a shot.

***Disclaimer: DO NOT begin the process below unless you have knowledge in the usage of a pressure cooker and the safety issues surrounding  canning basics. I cannot be held responsible for  things not working out for you!)***

Ingredients:

1 quart pinto beans (about 2 lbs.)
3 tbs. dark molasses
1 tbs. vinegar
2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. ground mustard


Process:

Cover beans with water and let stand for 12 hours. Drain

Place beans in a large pan and cover beans with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer until skins crack.

Drain- reserving the liquid-and set aside.

In a saucepan make a sauce by combining the molasses, vinegar, salt and mustard. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.

Fill jars 3/4 full with beans. Top with cut hot dogs (or pork, bacon, ham) and fill the rest of the way with the sauce.

Leave 1 inch head space. Pints for 65 minutes @ 11 lbs. pressure/ Quarts 75 minutes @ 11 lbs. pressure.



Well there you go! I actually doubled this recipe and ended up with 7 quarts. I'm sure that if there is an emergency these will be the best things I have eaten. Add some corn muffins and it will be a meal fit for a queen. For those who poo-poo my prepping- that's o.k. I know that I could go down to Hannaford and purchase beans and hot dogs today. The question comes, what about tomorrow??? Happy prepping!

Enjoy~





2 comments:

  1. Thanks Sarah! I've been looking for a canning recipe for beans.

    ReplyDelete