Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Raspberries~ Love Them Or Hate Them


Whether you have a few raspberry bushes in the corner of your yard or taking up an entire field, I'm sure when these bushes come up in conversation you are hearing either deep groans of disgust or smiles and dreamy, far away looks. I fall into the dreamy, far away looks category. Whenever anyone mentions raspberries, I immediately drift away to hot buttered toast, smeared with that special sweetness of my homemade jam.

Then there comes the perennial comment, "I don't like all of those seeds." O.K. that is a legitimate argument.   But do you know what you are missing because you don't like those seeds? Just 1 cup of raspberries packs such a nutritional punch. They are a good source of B-Complex vitamins, Vitamin K, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium, Copper,  and Zinc. They are an excellent source of Vitamin C (54%) and contain 32% of the daily value for fiber.

Studies have shown that raspberries have an effect in the fight against cancers, aging inflammation, and neuro-degenerative diseases. Just one cup will help you on the road to optimum health.


                                               

That being said, they do have a dirty little secret. One cup of raspberries has 64 calories and 5g of sugar. So, a large portion of the calories come from sugar. That could be a downside for you. For me? I make raspberry jam and add a lot more sugar. What can I say, I'm a rebel! Below is the recipe I use for raspberry jam. If you have favorite recipes using raspberries, please share. Until then-happy berrying!


                                                                      Raspberry Jam


4 pints raspberries (4 cups crushed)
6 1/2 cups sugar
1 pouch liquid fruit pectin


1. Prepare fruit by crushing (I use a potato masher) If you want less seeds you can run 1/2 of the crushed fruit through a sieve.

2. Follow all of those rules as they relate to the hot water bath method and jar preparation.

***I have only given you the guidelines I use for making jam. It is your responsibility to educate yourself in the art of canning before trying the recipe below. I can not be held responsible for the process***

3. Put prepared fruit into large saucepan. Stir sugar into fruit. (I add 1/2 tsp. of butter to keep the jam from foaming).

4. Bring to a rolling boil-stir constantly.

5. Stir in pectin. Return to a rolling boil and stir constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Skim foam with a metal spoon if needed.

6. Fill hot jars to 1/8 inch. Cover with 2 piece lids and process for 10 minutes.




Enjoy~





No comments:

Post a Comment