Thursday, July 19, 2012

Mint Pesto- Take 2

                                                           My Mint Patch


So, after my first miserable failure at making mint pesto, I did what I always do. Try, try again... That I did and after this attempt, I got the thumbs up from the Boss. If he likes it, it is good by me! That first recipe I tried had the makings of a delightful addition to my collection of culinary delights, but after 1 bite, the only thing it may have delighted was the garbage can. I am known to try and like almost any kind of food- that wouldn't qualify as food. It was a great lesson for me, though. I was so convinced that all of the recipes I scrounge up are as accurate and as delicious as those who post them say that they are. Nope.

Below is the recipe that I made today. I picked pieces from here and bits from there and *shazam* there you go! A reminder that this recipe does have mint in it, which gives an interesting shift for the palette from the regular pesto that is made with just basil. I also used walnuts instead of the regular pine nuts as I am allergic to them.

If you have a plot where mint is taking over- give this a try. Then let me know what you used it for...because at this point, I'm really not sure what to do with it!

                                                     

                                                          Mint Pesto

1 1/2 cups mint
1/2 cup basil
2 garlic cloves
1/4 walnuts
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup olive oil
lemon juice

1. When measuring mint and basil, press leaves down into the cup to have a full measure.

2. Combine leaves into a food processor and pulse a few times to incorporate them.

3. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until they are blended nicely. I had to scrape the sides a few times to make sure that all ingredients were combined.

4. Scoop into freezer cups until you know what you are going to use it for. (And then let me know)!


Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment