Friday, August 16, 2013

Cucumber Chips




Ahhh the endless possibilities of cucumbers! I have told you that my favorite pickle is the dill~ I have yet to set any cukes aside for that. Fear not, my harvest is still cranking along and as long as we don't get a frost in the next few weeks my next batch WILL be DILL!!!

I found a new recipe (new to me) that I have to share with you. Yummo! I did learn something about trying a new recipe... read it all the way through before you start. I have gotten rather lazy and decide that if I have all of the ingredients, I'm good to go. I was good to go with cucumber chips but the time frame through me for a loop. 2 days from start to finish! What? I was lucky this time because I don't start work until next week, but I would have found myself in quite a pickle if I didn't have today to finish up. Just a reminder for me!

                                                                Cucumber Chips

***The recipe said the yield was 3 pints, but I got 7~   3 pints using 6 pounds of cukes???***


Ingredients:

6 pounds cucumbers cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cup canning salt
1 T. turmeric
1 quart plus 3 cups vinegar-divided
1 quart plus 1 cup water-divided
2 cups granulated sugar
2 sticks cinnamon
1 cube fresh ginger
1 T. mustard seed
1 tsp. whole cloves
2 cups brown sugar

Cucumber slices into a large bowl and sprinkle salt over the top. Mix thoroughly and set aside for 3 hours.

Drain, rinse, drain

Combine turmeric, 3 cups of vinegar and 1 quart water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour over cucumbers. Set aside until cool. Drain.

Combine granulated sugar, 1 quart vinegar and 1 cup water in saucepan. Tie spices in cheesecloth or a spice bag and add to pan. Simmer 15 minutes and pour over cucumbers. Set aside for 24 hours.

Remove spice bag and pickles. Discard spice bag. Combine liquid and brown sugar in a  saucepan and bring to a boil.

Pack cucumbers in hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Ladle hot liquid over cucumbers, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust 2 piece caps and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment