Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Squash Pickles- My New Favorite Sweet!

 

I am a true lover of the pickle. Dill, salty and crunchy are the characteristics that really excite me, but with the gigantic harvest of summer squash this year, I have fallen in love all over again, with sweet. I combined 3 different recipes and the outcome is phenomenal! They stay crunchy and are so sweet. I even used onions from my garden so all I had to purchase were the spices. Give it a try!

                                   Summer Squash Pickles

2 pounds summer squash
1 1/2 cups onion
1/4 cup kosher salt

1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. ginger
2 cups water
1 cup vinegar

Thinly slice summer squash and onions. Mix them together and put in a bowl.
Sprinkle the 1/4 cup kosher salt over the top.
Cover with 2 hands full of ice and cover all with water. Let sit for 30 minutes.

Combine remaining ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add squash and onions and boil  for 10 minutes-stirring occasionally. 

Pack hot mixture into hot jars with 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and put on caps. Process for 10 minutes in a water bath. 

Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment