Monday, August 26, 2013

Kale Cubes



So with the continual growth of my leafy greens and the upcoming event of having to switch from summer mode (lots of free time) to work mode (not much free time) I decided it is time to switch from consumption to preservation. That is where the kale cubes come into play.

Directions:

Pick and wash kale leaves.
Remove center stem.
Chop leaves well.
Wilt in a pot of boiling water.
Drain and cool.
Pack the leaves tightly into ice cube trays.

The leaves will still contain water and you want that to help freeze the leaves, but if you find them too dry pour water over the top of the trays to ensure a well frozen kale cube.

I am planning to repeat this process with Swiss chard, collards and spinach-and I am sure as the kale keeps growing I will continue to preserve it in this way.

I plan to throw cubes into soups and stews, casseroles and smoothies.

No comments:

Post a Comment