Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Grandma's Soap Opera

A long awaited package arrived on the farm today. A large box full of all the magical ingredients to make my own soap. I anxiously unpacked; coconut oil, palm oil, sodium hydroxide lye (which I had to fill out a hazardous material waiver for), avocado oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, energy and rosehip jasmine essential oils, dried calendula flower petals, and fuchsia colorant.

Now it will be my task to create specialized soaps for my family, friends and my new business. I have watched so many youtube videos about soap making that my brain spins. It is time for me just to jump in and go for it!   I will admit that I am nervous as can be, but I remind myself of the myriad of skills I have taught myself over the last few months. I mean, I have learned how to preserve food for my family, make jams and jellies, create beautiful candles, produce stunning jewelry and knit. Whew! I can make soap! I can do this!

I have fond memories of my Grandmother performing so many tasks on the farm. She did everything and anything--- from washing to cooking, planting to harvesting, and raising up to slaughtering livestock (and everything in between) but I don't remember her ever making soap. I know she COULD have because my Grandmother was the one who conducted the sun to rise and set. She just never did.

I'd like to think that, as she is looking down on me from heaven---where she keeps those stars twinkling--- she is cheering me on in this new venture. I want to make her proud...


2 comments:

  1. Brought back memories of my grandmother.....Winona Blackman. She did everything. And not sure how with 12 (pain in the ass) kids! :) Good luck with the soap!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sure did raise a brood! I would have loved to have 12 kids and been an at home Mom...
    It is the best job I ever had!

    ReplyDelete