Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Writing a blog... who would have ever thought! I have been going through some transformations here on the farm these past few months and I have begun the process of re-defining what is important in my life. I think that is an important process to go through every ten years or so. So what will this blog focus on? The farm of course! My small piece of heaven here on earth.

Now when I say "farm" different pictures enter your mind. Allow me to paint a picture of Sample's Farm (formally known as Hidden Acres Farm). It currently consists of 16 acres (down from hundreds of acres in the 1930's-1960's)-we will get into that later. We inherited "The Farm" after my grandparents passed away in 2006 and have slowly restored the homestead and added sheep, chickens and goats. We put in raised gardens and continue to cultivate our blackberries, raspberries and high bush blueberries. Being located on the coast of Maine and having such a short growing season, it is important to be organized and ready to pounce when the frozen world starts to thaw!

This blog will hopefully be uplifting, thought provoking, exciting and insightful. I will include some of my most favorite recipes, homemade remedies, soap and candle making experiences, gardening successes and frustrations, canning and preserving food from your garden, farmers market or local grocery store, being prepared for emergencies, hobby farm issues and just plain fun! I would love to have feedback from you as to your trials and successes in these areas and I look forward to making this a place for me to expand my knowledge about those things that I am so passionate about.

I hope you will come on in and slow down- if just for a minute!

Thanks,
Sarah

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing your stories and have added your blog to my Google Reader. I feel very fortunate to have grown up on a cotton and soybean farm in MS. Wishing you well with your new blog!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support, Sharon! I am very excited to start...

      Delete
  2. Still amazing! Looking forward to reading your blog. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah!
    I've been following for awhile but thought I should start at the very beginning. A very good place to start. Isn't that from a song?

    ReplyDelete