Thursday, January 19, 2012

Unspoken Love

As the alarm clock rudely interrupted my slumber this morning, I rolled over and hit the snooze button.  My flannel sheets held me hostage and my brain started that nagging conversation. "Just 5 more minutes" "No it's too cold out" "That's why you need to get up!" Arguing with myself before I even open my eyes-not a great sign...but I got up.

Looking out the window, I noticed that it was 3 degrees (well at least there WAS a temperature!) but the wind was not blowing---yet. You see, when you are perched on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean, the wind can make or break you. So this morning, 3 degrees was pretty toasty. Putting on my Muck boots, Bean barn coat and insulated gloves, I struck out. The air was crisp and clean and I took a very deep breath- a living breath- just as my 3 sheep simultaneously called me to attention. Time to hustle- grain and hay loaded on the wheelbarrow and me pushing and trying to not fall on the ever present ice. As I entered their world, the matriarch, Maa (original I know) quickly welcomed me. As I up-righted their feeders and straightened their manger, she chewed on my jacket and rubbed against me like an anxious feline, almost knocking me off my feet. Peeper and Sage always take a backseat to these greetings but as the temperature drops, they like me more and venture a little closer. I bent down to rub Maa in that special spot just behind her right ear and proceeded feed up. The slow and steady dance of nourishing these amazing creatures had begun. Food is a bonding ritual, even in the world of livestock. There are givers and takers and in these animal's lives, there has been a lot of taking.

You see, all of our animals are rescue animals. They have come out of situations where people didn't, wouldn't or couldn't take care of them. We have allowed some to come to the farm to have a respite and then go to live with others, but there are some that simply will live their life out here with us. I love them. Deeply. They love me back. There is a mutual understanding in the world of human/animal communication. It is an unspoken love that can't be measured in any way but is something that just IS. Not to be questioned, just to be. I believe that if you have something to take care of in your life (from a plant to an animal to a child) it is yours to take care of always. It is not a car to "try out" or a pair of shoes that make you look good. (Please make your animal commitment for a lifetime-not to make you look good).

As I walked away, the goats and chickens joined in the feast. Maa gave me a bleat of "thank you" and I smiled quietly. We do share a bond. An unspoken love.


1 comment:

  1. Maa, Sage and Peeper. Are they strictly pets now? Or do they give you milk?

    ReplyDelete