Sunday, January 22, 2012

Some Like It Hot!

I have always struggled when growing any kind of pepper from seeds. I have tried various methods and end up disappointed every time. So, last spring I picked up green pepper and jalapeno plants from my favorite candy store--oh I mean garden center. I spent $2.49 for a flat of 4 green pepper plants and $2.49 for a flat of 6 jalapeno pepper plants. I wasn't happy with the yield from the green peppers (I harvested about 10) but my jalapeno peppers afforded me over 30.

Then the problem arose-"What do I do with all of these hot peppers?" Solution: I called a great friend and asked to borrow her dehydrator. While going through the process of hot pepper dehydration, I learned some very important things: 1- Wear eye protection and gloves when handling them, 2- Dehydrate in a well ventilated room and 3- ALWAYS remember when you go to cook with them that they are 10 times more potent in their dried state than they are fresh. Lesson learned last night- not that I minded- because spicy food is a sure way to thaw out on these frigid days! The steak chili and cornbread recipe you will find below are from my husband's archives and he has graciously allowed me to share them with you. They are favorites here in the Sample house. ENJOY!


                                                          Linc's Steak Chili


2 pounds sirloin steak cut into 1/2 inch cubes
12 oz. sweet Italian sausage-casings removed
1 onion- chopped
2 jalapeno chiles-remove seeds for less heat
salt and pepper
2tbs. chili powder
2tsp. ground cumin
1tsp. dried oregano
1- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 tbs. cornmeal
1 cinnamon stick
3 dried bay leaves
2 cups beef broth
1- 15 oz. can kidney beans

Heat dutch oven. In 3 batches, cook sirloin until no longer pink. Remove and set aside. Add sausage (breaking it into pieces). Add onion and jalapenos. Salt and pepper. Continue stirring until sausage and onion are browned (5 minutes). Return sirloin to pot and stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, tomatoes (juice, too!), cornmeal, cinnamon, bay leaves and 2 cups of beef broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat.Cover and simmer for about 2 hours or until the sirloin breaks apart with a fork. Stir in beans. Heat for about 5 more minutes. Remove cinnamon stick and bay leaves.


                                                     Linc's Amazing Cornbread


1 cup butter- melted
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1- 15oz. can cream-style corn
1/2 (4 oz.) can chopped green chile peppers, drained
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese-shredded
1 cup cheddar cheese-shredded
1 cup flour
1 cup yellow corn meal
4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish. In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Blend in cream corn, chiles, and both cheeses. In a separate bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to corn mixture and stir until smooth. Pour batter into baking dish. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the cornbread comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment