Sunday, January 29, 2012

Soap Making On The Farm-First Time Is A Charm!

So, on this beautiful 40 degree January day, I stayed inside and made my first 2 batches of soap. I overcame my fear of lye and basically jumped in and made something wonderful! My first batch consisted of:

4 oz. Avocado Oil
2 oz. Castor Oil
16 oz. Coconut Oil
2 oz. Jojoba Oil
16 oz. Olive Oil
16 oz. Palm Oil

22 oz. water
8 oz. lye

It all went according to directions...I had safety goggles, gloves and long sleeves and I used the utmost of care when handling the lye. I measured out the oils and when the temperatures were the same, I combined the lye water with the oils. I mixed and mixed until trace and then poured the mixture into my beautiful mold that my husband made for the purpose. It is now sitting in a safe, warm place and is working its own magic.

My second batch included my above list (only half of each amount) and I added a scent called "Energy" and enough colorant to make it a light fuchsia color. This I poured into some plastic molds made especially for soap. Those soaps are also going through their metamorphosis. It smells fantastic in here and I am now completely obsessed with making soap as well as the thought of a new avenue this could open up. As soon as I get more comfortable with the process, I am planning to make a video and post it to YouTube. I'll keep you up to date on that project.

Again, I have conquered a fear, put those doubting voices to rest and created a useful and beautiful product. I can do anything I put my mind to and I would love to think that I might empower someone to do the same. A leap of faith! Except...I'm not sure who is going to let Mr. Sample know that the kitchen is officially open for more than his yummy cooking!!!

2 comments:

  1. I did not make a video, Maggie. I have thought about doing that, but have always been too wrapped up in the process. Maybe I could get someone to film it. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete