Friday, July 5, 2013

DEHY- Collard Greens



 I am growing an enormous amount of greens in my garden this year. I am completely inspired by John Kohler and his "growing your greens" and "okraw.com" channels on YouTube. He is out to start a revolution (he actually already has) and he has inspired me along the way, hence the large amount of greens producing like mad in my garden!



I also have a mentor over at  "dehydrate2store".  I went there the a few days ago looking for the best way to dehydrate greens. To my surprise- and happiness- she had made a new video on how to make collard green roll ups. They are the same as cabbage but instead using a larger, stronger leaf-the collard. Well, Constant Reader, collards I've got!


I wasn't told the HOW of dehydrating the leaves and when I went searching I found two definite discrepancies. To steam and not to steam. Wow! there is a lot of information out there to hang your hat on, but I couldn't make a decision as to which I would do...therefore, I did both and made my own decision!

Wash your leaves well. Remove longer stems.




On a few trays I simply placed the leaves for dehydrating. 
This was the result.
For the rest of the trays I steamed the leaves for 2 minutes and spread them out. 
This was the result.

I can say that I am not very excited about either of the outcomes. The ability to store these leaves  whole is going to be difficult. If you can picture the texture, it is like brittle tissue paper. I was going to rehydrate them and make the collard green roll ups today, but since it will be around 90 degrees, I think I am going to hold off on that for now. I will attempt to get these into proper storage for now and will show you (very soon) how they rehydrate and how this recipe works out for me!

If you have any tips, tricks or ideas about a different way to put greens into long term storage, I would LOVE to know!




No comments:

Post a Comment