Monday, July 15, 2013

Swiss Chard


So, my prepping plans got put on the back burner for today. I was supposed to make and can some kale soup for you today, but the temperature will hover at around 90 degrees and I'm not feeling the urge to torture myself by standing beside the stove for the next 6 hours.

I decided instead to make today a research day and keep my feet uncovered and in front of the fan as I scour my resources for the next great prep! Before I go, I want to share with you the side dish that I made for my family last night for dinner. Quick, easy, yummy. Who doesn't want that?



Swiss chard is growing abundantly in Sarah's Eden and it was looking especially tasty last night. Who can resist the beautiful rainbow colored stems and the lush green leaves. This is what I did...

1. Wash thoroughly to rid Swiss chard of any bugs and dirt.
2. Cut out spine from the center of the leaf. Save this to add to soups or stir fry.
(The spine will act like celery in any of your favorite recipes. Remember-waste not~want not.)
3. In a skillet saute 1 large onion, 3 cloves of garlic and 1 T. mustard seed in some olive oil.
4. Fill the skillet full of the Swiss chard. It will behave just like spinach and shrink down rather quickly. I put a cover on just for a few minutes to help the process along.
5. Once the Swiss chard is wilted you will be able to work the onion, garlic and mustard seed into it by carefully stirring together.
6. Finish with salt and pepper, butter, vinegar, or be like me and go "all natural".

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment