Thursday, July 4, 2013

Grandpa Was A Prepper

First of all...Happy 4th of July, Constant Reader! I hope yours is safe, fun and a real memory maker!

I know that I live in the best country in the world. Hands down. We are hanging by a string, though and our worst enemy is-us. Yes, us. Our country has become incredibly splintered and although we all band together and beat our collective patriotic chests when attacked from the outside, when it comes to us as a society and living amongst one another, we are doomed. That leads me to~being prepared. Are you?

I grew up in a tiny town on the coast of Maine where you never left. You didn't have to. Absolutely everything you needed was supported within our boundaries. From cars to dishwashers to underwear. It was all within walking distance. I continue to live in that same small town but there isn't one place within 30 miles that I can buy a pair of underwear. Oh sure, I can visit a lovely botanical garden or swim in a pool made of gold or play golf with the wealthy- but is that what will be needed when all hell breaks loose?

We have a "comprehensive plan" going on in our town right now. Nowhere in it can I find a shred of self sufficiency or personal responsibility. All I see is "We are from the government and we are here to help." I'm not interested. Every time they come to help, someone gets the shaft. I always drop back and try to look through my grandfather's eyes and wait for him to speak to me. He has been gone for a few years and no I don't really see or hear him, but I believe that the farm is a living breathing thing and he is here-all around. 

My grandpa was a prepper long before that became some sort of wacko catch phrase. This town was a prepping town. When he had a surplus of meat, chickens, eggs, vegetables on the farm, he would deliver them to friends and to the local grocery store. My grandmother knit hundreds of little mittens, sweaters and hats to keep the children of this community warm. They were never a burden on society. They worked side by side in every venture they undertook. They were ready for any catastrophe that could knock them down. My grandfather made money with his brains and his back and when he was shot in the early 60's and was out of commission for over a year, they had a plan for that. They were already ready.

 I do lay awake at night and fear for my country but mostly I toss and turn knowing that I am responsible for the safety, nourishment and care of my family. It is a huge task and I often wish I could just forget it and be like most of society but I don't want to be like most of society. My Grandpa was a prepper and so shall I be! What say you?

Prep on and Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment