Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Rhubarb Wine- First Steps


I really like it when solutions to questions I have solve themselves right in front of my eyes! One question, "What am I going to do with all of this rhubarb?" The second question, "What kind of wine should I attempt to make first?" 

BINGO! Rhubarb Wine! 

I really like Chris Johnson's step by step YouTube video on this process and so I have chosen to follow him this time around. I love Mistyshooter223 wine videos as well. She is up next! Here is a link to Chris Johnson's wine making. (No, Maine, not our Senator~)


First, snap off your rhubarb.

My foot is a woman's size 13 and it looks really petite next to some of these leaves! Really neat ideas on Pinterest using big leaves~maybe next year!

Take your fruit, wash, take off bad spots and chop.

Finished chopping.

10 1/2 lbs is what I ended up with.

The video tells me that I need 10 lbs of rhubarb to make a 5 gallon batch of rhubarb wine. I guess I just made it! 
Into the freezer it goes until the rest of the ingredients are ripe and ready to pick. I need to order some champagne yeast and a couple of other supplies, but for right now...first steps are complete. 
If you have experience, tips or "be carefuls" to add to this process, please give me a heads up. I'm in uncharted territory and could use your wisdom.

Thank you, Constant Reader, and God Bless! 



No comments:

Post a Comment