Monday, July 1, 2013

Waste Not-Want Not





That's what my Grammie always used to say. I say- "You Betcha, Grammie!!!" She was the smartest woman I have ever (and probably will ever) known. Well, you know that in our last blog we canned chicken. My first time with that process, but not my first time with the question- what to do with the left over carcass?  In this case bones and skin.  Don't throw it out! Cook it off and make your own broth. This allows you the opportunity to add anything you want and make it your very own. More salt-less salt- more spice-less spice. It is entirely up to you!

Start by placing all remnants of your chicken into a pot and covering it with water. I bring it to a boil and then simmer for about 3 hours.

Drain and allow to cool.



Then carefully go through the pieces of chicken that you have left. Cast bones and skin to the side and take as much meat as you can get. The bones are always my biggest concern. They are sneaky little devils and they can hide in your chicken meat that you think you have cleaned fresh off the bone. They hide and they can be super annoying. When I have gone through the entire batch of leftovers and have sorted it all out, I take my hand and squeeze, smoosh, and basically destroy the chicken pieces. Remember, this process is not to harvest the meat-it is all about the broth.

But... the meat is nothing to sneeze at! Look at this bowl of chicken meat that was basically salvaged from the pile of skin and bones. I like to think of it as the raggy body of a lobster. So much time spent picking, but where it is the sweet meat, every tasteful is worth it! 

 At this stage, you could get out some mayo and bread and have sandwiches, or...you could add it back to the broth to make a nice jump off point for a chicken veggie stew! 

Which is just what I did with this batch! Please use all that you have to the farthest you can take it. "Waste not-want not" got my grandparents through the Depression.  Hopefully the same slogan will get  me through mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment