Thursday, February 23, 2012

Castile Soap



It has been 4 days since I made my fourth batch of soap. Castile Soap. "Castile" is named for the Kingdom of Castile which was located in what now is Spain. The history is a bit fuzzy, but this soap seemed to have made made it's first appearance in Italy. With 100% olive oil being the recipe for this Old World soap, it makes sense that people would have been making Castile soap somewhere in that part of the world. Now, as far as the soap I made, I have to use a lower case "c" in my spelling as I added some other oils and cut back on the olive oil. The recipe I used is found below.

By adding the palm and coconut oil, the bars should not be as slippery and they should have more lather. It is a mild and gentle soap that could have many more uses than just showering and shampooing. It can be used for washing clothes, washing pets, cleaning the floors, and just about any other cleaning job you may have but after I cut the bars out of the molds so they can cure for the next few weeks and washing the residue off of my hands, I thought to myself, "Why would I use this beautiful soap on any other job than myself and my family? It is simple delightful!

I can't wait until my other batches have cured so we can test them. Soap making requires quite a lot of patience...but it seems to be worth it!


                                                                Castile Soap

24-28 oz. cold water

12 oz. lye crystals

55 oz. olive oil

16 oz. palm oil

16 oz. coconut oil

Temperature-110-115 degrees

No comments:

Post a Comment