Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sarah's Super Heroes-Sprouts!


Well, after many days of research and hunting locally for sprouting seeds, I am finally ready to try and grow what some people consider to be "the super food". I was able to find three different kinds of sprouting seeds at a local natural food store. (When looking online, shipping was astronomical for the small amounts of seeds I wanted to purchase). I ended up buying organic red clover, organic broccoli, and organic alfalfa. I was surprised to find out just what super heroes these little seeds can be! My final decision to try sprouting for myself "stemmed" from watching and listening to a friend, Rusty Stevens, and seeing the passion he held for the process and the results. Thanks for the push!

 I love to grow my own food. The safety factors as well as the knowledge of where in the world the food I feed myself and my family comes from are of utmost importance. I can grow these in my kitchen without the worry of salmonella or E-coli. Don't we have enough to worry about?  Knowing that using a mason jar with a wire mesh top and sprouting seeds, I can grow something in my own kitchen (in a space smaller than my toaster takes up) all year round. Of course, you can spend a bazillion dollars on fancy equipment if you want to. I don't want to.

I knew that sprouts were highly nutritious, but wow! The nutrient content of these little guys increases up to 1200% after sprouting. They are packed with nutrition; amino acids, simple sugars, digestive enzymes, and vitamins (especially B vitamins). 1 cup of bean sprouts provides 119% of your daily vitamin C and broccoli sprouts are considered to be cancer fighting super food because of their high levels of photochemicals. Let's get into the process...

                                                   How I Sprout Red Clover Seed


1. Fill mason jar with water. Add 2 tablespoons of seeds. Put on cover (cheesecloth or tight mesh screening). Soak overnight.

2. In the morning, drain water out. Rinse seeds 2 times and on the final drain make sure all water is out. You can put the jar at a slant in order to help any remaining drops of water drip out. Some people drain their sprout water into a bowl and use it in their gardens, houseplants and compost piles or add it to shakes or yogurt. (I'm not there yet).

3. Repeat this process at night before bed. This process will take a few days. Each seed has a little different timeline. I have read that red clover will take 4 days to sprout. I will know when it is ready to eat because the tail (root) will make it's appearance. At that point, give them a final rinse and enjoy. They will keep up to a week in the refrigerator.


If you let your sprouts go longer, they will begin to develop leaves and are then known as baby greens. I'm not sure I am patient enough for that right now!



As this is my very first time sprouting, I am a little nervous to put this out here as I might fail miserably. I am hoping that someone who might feel that same way may read this and get inspired to try something they might have been afraid to try. If not sprouting- something else.  Take that leap!

 It's a bird, it's a plane...what is the worst thing that could happen???














1 comment:

  1. They have started to sprout already! I guess it is one of those things that you have to stop looking for a while and then go back. Magic!!!

    ReplyDelete