Sunday, February 19, 2012

Happy Berries



One of the most enjoyable and satisfying parts of Sample's Hidden Acres Farm (to me) is the high bush blueberry orchard. My grandparents planted it almost 50 years ago and every year it gives off the most amazing yields of the sweetest, biggest blueberries I have ever eaten. Being out amongst the bushes and picking those little blue nuggets is another way I keep my Grandparent's dreams and hard work alive. I feel a strong presence of them in that space.

Alas, like everything else that is enjoyable, it requires a lot of hard work, time and commitment. So, today (my second day of vacation) I am headed out to do some heavy pruning of said bushes. Pruning high bush blueberries needs to be done in the winter months, when the bushes are dormant. I had never understood why pruning anything was important- as I felt that I was killing it somehow, but now I've learned that to get a more abundant crop and have healthier trees, pruning is essential. Now I can equate the process to people in my life. Throughout the years I have "pruned" people out of my life and in doing that I have become a much happier, healthier and fun person to be around.

The most important thing I look at when pruning the bushes is the shape. As these are very old, mature bushes, it is most important that I remove any broken or diseased branches, that the center of the bush be open so as the sunlight can get in and the air can move freely around and through, if any branches are crossing or touching they need to be taken off and all of the suckers growing around the base of the bush need to be removed. I will take the tops off of them all this year to ensure that I can reach the top of the bushes for harvesting. I have a few bushes that are about 10 feet tall and as I stand at only 6 feet, the birds have a distinct advantage over me!

If you don't grow your own blueberries, I would encourage you to get a couple of bushes and go for it! When I hop out my door on any August day and grab a handful of blueberry heaven to put on my cereal...Mmmmm! Nothing in a store compares!


2 comments:

  1. Love how you took the pruning aspect and wove it into your life. Just has to be done sometimes. Been there done that and it does make you a happier person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dianne! I think we probably have all been there at one time or another. Getting rid of the old is the only way to make room for the new!

    ReplyDelete