Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Kiss For The Mailman!

Well it came! It's FINALLY here!!! Actually it arrived yesterday, but as I shared with you in a previous post (Catalogues: Passion or Obsession?) I have to spend my first day looking through all of the pictures in my brand new Johnny's Selected Seeds catalogue before I can really wrap my head around it. Now that I have wiped the drool from the corner of my mouth, it is time to give a quick review and begin my "wish list"...So here we go!

The first striking feature (actually the 3rd-smell and glossiness were the first 2) was the thickness of the catalogue. It is 206 pages long (Burpee is only 148)! I know that size doesn't matter and should never be a distraction,  so I ventured inside. Conventional and organic seeds abound. Vegetables, herbs, flowers, and tools comprise the makeup of this publication. (I am not much of a flower girl, so I apologize for not mentioning that section- but if you are, I'm sure it is just as exciting as the rest of the catalogue). Herbs to plant and dry and use in my soaps are at the top of the list that goes on and on. Then there are the most important delicasies. VEGIES!  The first 115 pages are dedicated to vegetables alone! They have a huge selection of micro greens, sprouts and farm seed. This company carries 11 pages of "greens" and then, in addition, 16 pages of lettuce greens. There are things here that I have never even heard of.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't think so. The different kinds of lettuce, micro greens and sprouts left me wanting more, who has ever heard of corn salad/Mache, Romanesco, or Scorzonera? Like I said, maybe it's just me. What I DO know is the description, amount of seeds to buy (oz.,1/4 lb., 1 lb., 5 lbs. 25lbs.), time to plant and how to use said item are fully spelled out for a novice to a professional to experiment, explore, and experience.

This company is owned by their employees, has the #1 rating in Mother Earth News, and now has my endorsement. (I'm sure they are thrilled!) The amount of information and stunning photography between these pages is stellar and next week I will be writing them a check for some of their most amazing products.  After I order herbs I will ask for their featured item on the back page:"Sarah's Choice" cantaloupe. I have never planted cantaloupe. This seems to be a sign to try! Again...these people are cheering me on to try something new and different. I am in!

Whether you are a seasoned pro or a first time gardener-look at Johnny's Selected Seeds Catalog. Support a thriving Maine business!!! I will let you know what my complete order is as soon as I send it away...busy,busy,busy...




2 comments:

  1. I love that they have a bender for 1 3/8" pipe! I have lots of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that I can plant, feed and can for our family for next year...The things you can build for The Farm are an add on! We are unstoppable!

      Delete