Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Life's Breakdowns

This morning started out like any other. I awoke, wrapped in my flannel sheets and heavy comforter- completely certain that my alarm clock must be on the brink (my first machine encounter of the day). I proceeded to get dressed (with the help of electricity and running water) and went out to feed up.  I relied on running water and electricity in order to carry out this ritual as well. I packed my lunch, only possible with refrigeration, and made a bagel in the toaster.

I got in my car and began my 30 minute commute to work. Exactly half way, my trusted, mechanical, 4-wheeled mode of transportation overheated and died. A year ago, my whole day would have ruined and those people who proclaim to love me would have become scarce. I would have thrown a giant pity party and made myself the guest of honor. I would have proclaimed that this was the worst thing that I had ever gone through and carry on as though no one had ever broken down before. I didn't do stress or change or ANY sort of fiddle-faddle mucking up my business. (Wow, introspection is fantastic!)

So...I pulled into a parking lot as my work horse blew out her last moan of despair and I shut her down. I called my husband to come and get me- I was stuck- and sat back to fret.

But something very calming came over me as I sat there in that early February sunlight. I closed my eyes and all I felt was serenity. Beautiful waves of calm brushing against my jagged edges. I began counting my blessings. Not just listing them to see how many great things I think I have in my life, but REALLY applying my life to my life.

~I began when that horrible alarm clock started screaming in my ear. "Thank you for having a reason to get up."
~Getting dressed. "Thank you for giving me a choice of clothing at my disposal."
~Lugging water and grain. "Thank you for being trusted with these most precious creatures I am caring for."
~Breakfast and lunch. "Thank you for delicious food in which to nourish my body with."
~The breakdown. "Thank you for giving me a car so that I can have a car that breaks down."
~The call. "Thank you for allowing me to be married to a man that hangs the stars and would walk through fire to help me. Thank you for letting me breakdown in an area that has cell service (as half of my commute is without that luxury)."

I got to work. My car was towed home. Life continued on. But somehow I had a moment of transformation and clarity. A year ago, that vehicle breakdown would have been a Sarah Breakdown. Today it was simply a malfunction of a piece of machinery. Maybe my jagged edges have been smoothed by the raging storms of these past 22 years. Maybe today is the start of warm winds, small waves and tranquility. I would ask that you take just a few minutes to truly apply your life to your life. It is, after all, your greatest treasure.

May all your breakdowns be in the realm of mechanical devices. You are too important for any other kind!


 

2 comments:

  1. Love that feeling when even with the WORST chaos of the world can not break out gratitude for today and life itself. It is awesome be happy because we decide it is our right. - Lucia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with you, Lucia! It is wonderful to be the driver and not the passenger in this thing we call life!

    ReplyDelete