Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Time To Order

As I watched my chickens scratch and peck in my raised bed gardens this afternoon, a sly little smile came across my face as I walked up onto the porch. I heated up some water and made a cup of tea as the light snow fell outside my window. On my table lay 3 seed catalogues, graph paper, my garden plan from last year and a sharp pencil. I sat down for the next stages of planning my vegetable garden- preparing to order and making sure I have enough garden for all of those delightful treats I want to plant in it!

This year I am ordering:

~From Miller Nurseries-Miller Certified Super Male Asparagus

~From Johnny's Selected Seeds- "Provider" bush green beans, "Rocdor" yellow beans, "Red Ace" beets, "Sugarsnax" carrots, "Northern Pickling" pickling cukes (developed in Maine), "Premium Greens" mix, "Premium" shelling peas, "Spineless Perfection"zucchini, "SlickPik"summer squash, "Sarah's Choice" cantaloupe (just because I can), and an assortment of sprouts.

***Not ordering out of a catalogue, but buying on Mother's Day at Moose Crossing- many herbs, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, green peppers and acorn squash

I have "placed" these where I want them in my existing gardens on my graph paper. I think I need more space to plant all these seeds, seedlings and plants. Perhaps another project for the man of the house? He does, after all, get to taste the fruit (I mean vegetables) of my labor!

Gardening is finally fun and exciting for me. It has taken me a LONG time to get to this point!  Start small, make a plan, plant what you like to eat and...above all...don't take yourself too seriously!

No comments:

Post a Comment