Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Orchard Or Vineyard?


There is a special place on The Farm that (unfortunately) will need to be cut down, turned over and brought back to square one within the next five years. It used to be a chicken pen, a saw mill, and a place where my great grandparents put their trailer when they got old and had to leave their estate in Massachusetts and move up here to Maine in order to be closer to their daughter (my grandmother). It used to be used for so many things that I am totally unaware of. I do know that the existing apple trees are thirty-five years old and need to come down to live in our fireplace. They have served us well, but they are not aging well.

There are so many places on the farm that are near and dear to me. I have been here for nearly 45 years and the trees, the grass and the land beckons me still. This parcel is really special. I am faced with two options. At least I have two options in MY mind. I want to plant another orchard-with assorted fruit trees- or a vineyard. I have been trying to weigh the options and do what is right. My grandparents are very much whispering in my ear and helping me along in this process.

This morning I picked up one of my grandparent's books of poetry. It kind of makes me chuckle, and if you knew my grandparents, you might chuckle as well. Poetry. I opened up to "any page" and began reading. The poem is titled: Trees. (Joyce Kilmer 1886-1918) I think someone is trying to help me make my decision. Enjoy~


                                                      Trees


I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment