Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Why I De-hy






Catchy name, catchy way to sustain your family's ability to survive the toughest times...Let's get started!

We worked really hard and sold a lot of "things" in order to buy our Excalibur dehydrator. It was an easy decision. The Excalibur has a fan in the back that allows for more air flow than the bottom to top models. It costs us 3-6 cents an hour to run and seeing what the cost of canning and freezing amounts to, this was a no-brainer. Of course I will always can and freeze food, but in this time of uncertainty, dehydrated food is the best bet-for my family.

Please don't think that dehydrated food and freeze dried food are the same thing. They are as different as night and day. We ordered some sample packs of freeze dried food from a very respectable company. We tried it all. After all, we needed immediate food storage for a year-remember my lack of patience? Well, the food would have been fine if it was all that was available, and we have some unopened cans that we will leave sealed up-just in case. I knew we could do better.

What if I told you that dehydrated food is even better than the food you started out with before you put it in the dehydrator? Would you be interested then? A dehydrator uses heat to remove the moisture from food and the fan acts to remove the hot air from the machine, leaving you with produce that has maintained it's nutrients and has intensified it's flavor.

People have been drying food since, well, since there have been people. The beautiful thing about an electric dehydrator is that you can run it 365 days a year. Snow, rain, fog, dead of night will not keep you from your quest to dehydrate more and more food. If you are like me, you will spend your time thinking, "I wonder if I can dehydrate that!"

We now use our dehydrated food on a daily basis as well as put enough aside for long term food storage. There is so much I want to share with you if you are willing to listen. If you want 1 piece of survival advice, buy a dehydrator. An Excalibur if it is within your reach. This is an incredible new world I find myself in, but I am so glad I finally got here! I would love to be that voice to you that I wish I had been able to listen to!

Come on in and let's find out how much fun the end of the world (as you know it) can be!





4 comments:

  1. I need to upgrade our dehydrator for SURE! A goal for this summer! And to start dehydrating MUCH more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been dehydrating for years but not to the extent you are. What model Excalibur do you have? My dehydrator takes days to get the apple chips as crisp as I want them. Tell us more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More is on the way, Sara. We have the Excalibur 3900. It is the 9 tray model. The 3500 is the 5 tray model. Both are great, we just are in the process of long term food storage.

      Delete