Monday, January 21, 2013

Spirulina Soap

Does this ever happen to you: You think you are the first person to find out about something and then realize that it is so yesterday? That is what happened with me and my new relationship with spirulina. I hope that I am going to have one person read this that has never heard of this wonderful product.

Spirulina is a blue-green algae that is found in fresh bodies of water. Basically pond scum. I have searched for benefits of adding spirulina to soap and have only found that it has a natural lifting and firming property. I'm not sure I buy that. I wanted to use it for the beautiful hue. If it firms me up, all the better!

I have a friend who raves about this addition to his diet.  The health benefits when adding spirulina to your diet are myriad. Please check out this link to see the benefits of adding spirulina to your diet.      nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/what-is-spirulina.aspx

DISCLAIMER: If you have never made soap, please do not attempt this recipe until you have had a lot of practice with smaller batches. This is an 8 pound batch and it can be rather overwhelming. There are so many places on the web to learn. (My favorite is "Soap Queen")


                                                        Spirulina Soap

1 lb. 3 oz. lye
3 lb. water
4 lb. 8 oz. olive oil
2 lb. Coconut oil
1 lb. 8 oz. Palm oil
8 tbs. Castor oil
2 tbs. spirulina powder

1. Infuse the spirulina powder in 8 oz. olive oil in crock pot for 2 hours. You could add the powder directly but it could be harsh and the color would be spotted instead of smooth and beautiful. Strain the oil in cheesecloth and combine with your other oils.

2. Mix lye and water (SAFETY FIRST)

3. Bring both oil and lye solution to 120 degrees and combine.

4. Bring to medium to thick trace and pour into prepared molds. I did not scent this batch as the spirulina scent went from pond to nature and was rather pleasant. It is totally up to you!


5. Cover mold with plastic and insulate with a towel. Don't peek for 24 hours.

6. Cut bars into desired size. I got mine a little thick this time. They weigh about 6.6 oz. Put on racks to cure for 4-6 weeks.
I am so excited to try these!

6 comments:

  1. I can be that one person for you! Never head of it but quite interested to read the health benefits!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog has always attracted me and this particular post left me speechless. It is one of the best pieces of writing I have seen. Good job. I am happy that I found your post while searching for informative posts. It is really informative and quality of the content is extraordinary.

    Spirulina Powder
    michealjohn553@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your feedback, Micheal John. I'm glad I could be an inspiration!

      Delete
  3. I love Spirulina powder. It is actually included in my daily diet. I’ve tried Spirulina on different food recipes, but I haven’t tried making it as soap. I think that’s a very clever idea. Anyway, have you tried using it as face mask? I just recently discovered from a friend that it can be a face mask. You just have to add olive oil to it and mix it until it thickens. Then, apply it onto your face. It really works wonders on your skin. ->Erlinda Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven not used spirulina in any other way than in my soaps. I enjoy listening to how other people use it and the suggestions made. I will be trying it both internally and externally in the near future!

    Thank you for your feedback, Erlinda Lilly!

    ReplyDelete