Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Sprouts- For The Long Term





Not as easy as you think! I am struggling terribly with this. If you have any ideas whatsoever, please help me out!


What I know and what I have done thus far:

The amount of sprouts to have on hand is about one pound of sprouts for each person per month.

If you have not read my two previous blogs about sprouts, please make sure you do when you get a chance. I would love to know what you are doing in the arena of sprouting.

I ordered 2.5 pounds of sprouting seeds from Handy Pantry back in November. The price was $34.95 plus shipping and handling.  As I tested them before writing this blog, I have to say they sprouted with more vigor than anything I have bought from the local natural food store. That was very exciting for me to witness. They will do more with less.

My assortment included; alfalfa, mung bean, broccoli, green lentil, clover and buckwheat. I have never attempted buckwheat. What experience do you have? As you can see from the picture above, there are nine sealed pouches of singular as well as mixed sprouts. The pouches are 4 ounces each.

The reason I ordered this selection (and will order at least ten more assortments this year) is because of their packaging. Sprouting seeds do not lend themselves to long term food storage. They are vitally important and majorly stubborn.

You see, sprouts are living things. Therefore, they need to breathe. They give off carbon dioxide as they sit around and need to be taken care of yearly by pouring them out of their packaging and stirring them. This gives them new oxygen. Otherwise they will die and be of zero use to you.

NEVER put them in a container with an oxygen pack and never seal them in an airtight package.  EEEk...there will be some organization that will come and get you for murder!

Remember, sprouts should never be added to foods as they are cooking. The enzymes will be destroyed with heat. Throw them in just before serving. If you have an overabundance (as I do right now) simply take your sprouted seeds and put them in plastic bags. Seal them and throw them in the freezer for later use. Stir fry, sandwiches, salads, you know!

I need more assistance with storing sprouting seeds for long term. Until I figure it out, Handy Pantry gets my hard earned money.

Happy Sprouting~

No comments:

Post a Comment