Sunday, January 27, 2013

Souper Bowl Prep

***DISCLAIMER***I know that some people go all in (or all out) for the Super Bowl and I, by no means, am attempting to diminish your excitement or the importance of said game. If I happen to insult you, it has nothing to do with you~it all has to do with me and my priorities for the protection and comfort of my family. Let's begin-but only enter if you are willing to have an open mind...


So, I have been bombarded lately with the question- "Where do you find the time to do all of this prepping stuff?" These questions are mostly from those who have gym memberships, play golf, ski, etc. My response to that stems from the fact that my priorities revolve around my family. I can't imagine spending an ounce of my time doing anything but investing in my family and our future security.

Prepping is not something extra in our lives. It is a built in function of how we do things around here. This morning (as an example) was our scheduled menu planning time. We sit down and plan our meals for 2 weeks. This works well for us as I get paid bi-weekly, but if your family enjoys a weekly check do a weekly list. Whatever works for you. So, we came up with our two weeks of meals and then went down through the meals deciding what we need to purchase at the grocery store.

I spent $24.00 this morning on our two week menu. Easy as that? Well, no, not easy, but being in this mind set of storing and stockpiling, when things get a little tight, we don't feel it. I did spend $30.00 at Shaw's yesterday on chicken. They are having the last of their January food and vegetable round up. We bought 5 family packs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and got 3 bags of carrots and 2 bags of carrots-FREE. Into the dehydrator and freezer they go. 40 meals...done.

So...if you are of the mentality of the Taco Bell crowd-who says, "Your friends will secretly hate you."  when you arrive at the big game day toting a veggie platter, go right ahead. It is all about choices and priorities. If anyone brings a veggie platter to your house and you are insulted- bring it over to our house-we will dehydrate it!

As for us, this Sunday will bring a huge dinner of Mongolian BBQ, family, laughter, lots of music and many thanks for the blessings we have been given.

Stay safe, My Consistent Reader



2 comments:

  1. You amaze me...constantly...and I love you! We do a once a month menu!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you right back, Jules...I hope you are feeling better, my friend!!! I would love to hear about your once a month menu- is it specific or more of an overview???

    ReplyDelete