Monday, March 25, 2013

Boys, Boys, Boys



I do so desperately love my boys. I have three of my own and two step sons. They range in age from 15-22. My middle son just returned from a tour in Afghanistan and has spent the last two weeks here at home. His real home-here. He breezed in one night, taking us all by surprise (except my eldest who was in on it and picked him up at the airport). It was one of those reverse homecomings...my little boy was finally in my arms again.

As the days have gone by it has given me great hope that he has not completely changed. There is still that happy-go-lucky, vivacious, wild child lurking just under that uniform. It is hard to know how war will effect our young men and women. God bless them for being strong and willing to go and fight for us and the country they love.

As I was sifting through some pictures, I came across a sweet little book that my mother gave me in 2000. You might have it or have run across it yourself. The title is I Am The Mother Of Sons (Poems by Jayne Jaudon Ferrer and illustrated by Lina Levy)

On the inside cover my mother wrote the following inscription:

                   Sarah
               This is you- a wonderful mother of sons. 
               I am so proud of you.
               Merry Christmas 2000
               I Love You, Mom


The author (like me) has three sons and she wrote three different poems-one for each son. They fit so closely into the characteristics of my children, that I want to share the poem she wrote for her middle son. A poem entitled: Carpe Diem. It goes like this:

     You, middle child of mine-
     whose heart do you have?
     (Mine, of course,
     you stole it years ago.)
    But whose are you?
    Affectionate, quick-witted,
    imbued with incessant joie de vivre...
    you stand, stalwart, with arms open wide,
    welcoming each moment of life
    like a long lost friend. 
    I envy your aplomb-
    applaud it-
    and ponder which ancestor's
    congenial gene pool
    deserves credit for your 
    energy level.

God bless the mother's of sons and God bless our sons. With their help, the future of this world is either made or broken. Take care of them and you.

God Bless~




No comments:

Post a Comment