Sunday, March 3, 2013

Bug Back Bag

We have talked a few times about bug out bags. I have shared with you my beginnings and I look forward to hearing about your successes. We are going to think of another scenario now. One that is very near and dear to my heart because it involves trying to get back home in case of an emergency.

I drive over an hour a day for work. My car is all I have as a form of shelter and could be the difference of survival or not. Before we go into specifics of a "car kit", lets take the two giant steps that need to be thought about first. The first is keeping your gas tank filled up with gasoline as well as keeping your car in good repair. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. I am quite guilty of driving to work on fumes, knowing that there are several gas stations strategically placed along the route. What happens if there is a disaster or unforeseen event where the ability to access gas is removed? I have started looking at the 1/2 a tank mark on the gas gauge as empty- that way I always have enough to get home.

The second thing is map out several different routes home. I only have two or three choices and unfortunately, there are many bridges that need to still be in working order for me to be able to have those two or three choices. I know that I may not get home, but instead travel to a second location until the crisis is over. See how many different ways home you can think of and keep those alternate routes at the ready in your mind in case you ever need them.

Now, the car kit is going to be fairly straight forward. It will contain things that you may need if stranded and you are using your car as a shelter until help can get to you. I picture all of those cars scattered and stranded on that highway during our last blizzard. Why they were out in the mess was my first thought, but then I began to think, I hope they had car kits!

Below is a list of what I have in my car kit:

***food and water
***emergency reflective blanket
***hand and feet warmers
***light sticks, flashlight
***fix a flat
***first aid kit
***knife

That isn't much, I know. Other people suggest; extra clothes, tire chains, extra fan belts, hoses and fuses, basic tools, extra gas and cans of oil. Fill your car up with whatever you think you would need and go from there. (I am not apt to replace my fan belt as I'm not sure where I would even begin that process).

Again, this is to get you thinking about another aspect of your life and being prepared in order to get back home to where you are super prepared!

Let me know if you have any more ideas for what should go in a car kit.

Happy Prepping~

No comments:

Post a Comment