Saturday, March 9, 2013

Eggplant-Time to plant...



So here is my confession...I have never eaten eggplant. No-never. BUT, I am a rebel. A stand against all odds kind of gal. I love vegetables. Bring it on!

My heirloom seed collection has allowed me the honor of growing and eating something new. New is good.

I have to get these seeds into the dirt and nurture them along for 8 to 10 weeks before the last frost here in Maine (Zone  5A). The seeds could be planted outdoors 2 weeks after the last frost, but the directions say that the seeds will germinate best when the soil temperature is 60 degrees-and that sure isn't going to happen 2 weeks after our last frost around here!

The packet insert says that there will be 8+ eggplants per plant (per seed). They need a sunny location and the soil should be fertile, well drained and rich in organic matter. Eggplants need calcium so if you have soil mixed with lime, your plants should thrive.

Once outside, place paper collars around the hardy plants to scare off cut worms and always protect small plants from the cold and wind with row covers or protective material.

Water plants regularly and pick the eggplants as soon as they are ready to eat.

I will be sure to harvest all of the seeds from my heirloom eggplants to save and use next year.

PLEASE help me in this first year journey in growing these eggplant heirloom seeds. If you have any hints or ideas-let me know!

Garden On~

2 comments:

  1. I had good luck with eggplant in containers without doing anything special. That year had a good tomato crop so made garden fresh eggplant parm and coponata. Yum!! I think you will like eggplant too!

    ReplyDelete