Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Publication Confusion

So, I received a catalog in the mail today and it started me wondering.

It is a publication that specializes in organic gardening. I am not sold completely on my garden being organic. I have problems with the different definitions of organic for one thing, and for another, I am unsure if I have enough life left in me to be so darn particular.

As I waited for my son in the parking lot, I thumbed through the pages (ever curious as I am) and realized fairly quickly that I am in over my head. I knew you could order ladybugs for celebratory occasions and hatch praying mantis sacs in the name of education. I did not know that I could order maggots and various other parasites through the mail.

It got me thinking, does this bother anyone else? We are mailing parasites via USPS and other modes of transportation from one part of the country to the other. I'm thinking about the delicate balance of nature and how the "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature" commercial from my childhood still haunts me today.

I have to see everything I do here on the farm through my grandparent's eyes. I try to imaging telling them that we can order maggots and ladybugs through the mail and they will help in our quest to improve our garden. I can see and hear my Grandfather as he leans back in his chair and softly says, "Sarah Elizabeth, I'll be damned if any pests are coming onto this piece of property from anywhere but here. God will provide us with what we need. That is all just a bunch of hog wash." Then he would laugh and give me a lesson on fools who can be tricked into buying anything if it is wrapped in a pretty package.

I guess I leave it up to you. What kinds of imports do you allow into your little piece of heaven? I think it would be kind of cool to get little parasites in the mail, but it feels extremely dangerous to me.

What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment