Sunday, March 24, 2013

Freezing Eggs- It's Not All It's Cracked Up To Be!







Sorry, I know the title is a bit kooky, but I really have become increasingly more doubtful about things that are on the Internet that people pass off as... "The greatest thing since a pocket on a shirt!" I always attempt to post things that I have tried or I have reliable sources who have tried these things out. Last week I put a question "out there" about ideas on preserving eggs (my first mistake) and then I find myself embroiled in a battle of wits with the unarmed. My research from now on will be performed the old fashioned way-trial and error.

We started this process with a dozen eggs. (Note: as I say "we"~ I am the one with all of the ideas-my husband is the one who carries them out) We needed a baseline and figured that is where we should begin.

First: Crack all of the eggs into a bowl.





Next: Mix (by hand or with a mixer) until just mixed. Don't add a lot of extra air.




Last: Dump mixed eggs into ice cube trays and place in freezer.


The first dozen eggs made 34 egg ice cubes.  3 cubes=1 egg.





From there we expanded to 22 eggs in the 4 ice cube trays that we have. 60 egg cubes. We did not add sugar or salt as many say to do. I read that if you are freezing just the yolks, the thawing process can be difficult and you may not even be able to use them unless you add some salt or sugar to make the yolk more controllable. I am not to the point of separating yolks from whites at this time. If I ever am, you will be the first ones to know! If you ever do, please clue me in!

It took most of the day for the egg cubes to freeze. At one point, I was very impatient and made my husband unmold one tray. They were half frozen and half goop. My advice- Don't be like me. Leave well enough alone. 

If you do need help unmolding, setting the bottom of the tray in hot water for a few seconds should loosen them up. 

We considered adding a little water to the eggs or spraying the tray with a non-stick spray. I think we will continue without it at this point. I sealed this first batch up in freezer bags and will give them a try in the next few days to see if it is worth doing more. 

I came across a fairly reliable egg dehydration blog this morning. Of course, I am not believing anything I see on the Internet! Maybe that is my next step? 

Until next time~







No comments:

Post a Comment