Saturday, March 2, 2013

Straw Bale Method


So, I am sure that I am not the only one...COME ON SPRING!!!


I found the coolest idea today on Old World Garden Farm's Site. They call it "the straw bale method". I'm not sure if there is another name for them out there, but I am definitely trying this way of growing my cucumbers, zucchini and summer squash this summer.

Directions for the straw bale method are as follows:

Dig out 3- 12" deep and 12" in diameter holes in each bale. In each hole put topsoil and compost mix. Plant cukes, zucchini or summer squash in the holes. Finish off covering the roots with soil.

This method is said to work well for many reasons. First, the straw holds in the moisture. We know how important that is in the health of their root systems. It also allows the plants to grow off of the ground and as the plants grow, the bales provide support for the lengthening of the vines and fruit that is growing on them.

I was concerned that since you can only use the straw for one growing season, I would be wasting money, but at $5.00 a bale, I think it would be money well spent. I can take the bales apart and use them as crop cover or some other sort of mulch through the winter.

Have you ever tried this method of planting? Can you think of anything that would improve it?

I'll keep you posted!

Happy Gardening~

2 comments:

  1. I haven't tried it yet, but I knew someone that used old tires to do his planting. Plenty of articles on the net about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about tires for potatoes. I'm not sure what that looks like for squash. Good idea- I'll look into that!

    ReplyDelete