Sunday, February 10, 2013

12 Step Program (Step 3)

Step 3- Water Storage
         
            Well, as you begin Steps 1 & 2 to our Prepping Recovery Program,  we need to add some more small steps to the process. As with the beginning steps to food organization and storage, all of these tips, ideas and experiences are meant to be guidelines. I am reliving my struggles and successes with you, but this is ultimately your journey. You are in the driver's seat. I'm just along as your companion trying to help you take some helpful exits so, in turn, your expedition goes smoother than if you had not made those stops along the way.

            As I have said before, nothing makes me thirsty like the second the power goes out does. It was the very first panic I used to have. Now I don't. I have followed some great advice that I tailored to fit my family. If you are on a well (as I am) the plan will be different than if you are on a public water supply, but the long term water storage is the same in my eyes. For me, when we lose power, we lose water. We have a generator, but how much fuel do you have on hand? Our decision is to keep our refrigeration running with our generator. Every thing else is doable the "old fashioned" way. We are fortunate to have places to store several hundred gallons of water.

            The Red Cross recommendation for water usage in an emergency is one gallon of water- per person- per day for drinking and the same amount for washing. (We store a lot more than this because of our stockpile of dehydrated food-but we will talk about that in more detail later.) Again, this is a big deal. You can't survive long without water. Work toward a one week supply to start. The size of your family x 2 x 7 days= ? gallons. That peace of mind will be contagious, if you are anything like me,  you will soon begin figuring out more ways to store more water.

             I will be writing at a later time about different sources of water, purification, sanitation,  and storing and treating larger amounts of water. I want this to be a successful step for you. Focus on YOUR family. Public water or well water- there are too many scenarios that could stop the flow of water into your home. I started with a one day supply- yes, eight gallons of water and it made all of the difference in the world in my confidence in this process. You can do it!

           This is all a process to change your mindset just a little bit. We, as human beings, are made to be hunters and gatherers. Unfortunately our society makes that state of mind appear unhealthy, odd and in some cases, extreme and dangerous. Imagine. Me a terrorist because I am going to survive without the help of my government...scandalous!

No comments:

Post a Comment