Friday, February 15, 2013

Step 7 Got Power?

This step makes me a bit nervous. The thought of winter in Maine and losing electricity for an extended period of time is something that can keep me up at night (and has). I think, like with all of the steps that have come before, you need to diversify. Working toward acquiring as many forms of heat and light as is possible for you is the goal here but before you acquire anything, take inventory of what you have already and decide what is right for your family.

Let's start with light. Probably the most affordable and easy to find part of Step 7.

***flashlights, batteries, and bulbs
***gas lanterns
***waterproof matches, cigarette lighters
***long burning candles

During Blizzard Nemo I took a gallon jug and strapped one of my head lamps to it. It illuminated my entire kitchen. Pretty cool! Do you have a head lamp? I KNOW you have water! (HINT: Step 3)

Next: cooking. There are a myriad of cooking methods out there. You really need to just begin thinking about what will work for you.

At the farm we have a wood stove and a grill (1/2 gas 1/2 charcoal) to cook on. We are not going to use our generator for anything other than refrigeration, but that will be a choice for you if you have a generator. We also are working on making rocket stoves and making our own charcoal.

As far as heat when the lights go out. True, we would love to think that body heat will get us through the crisis (and that does work to a certain extent) but you will want more! In my opinion, there is only one source of heat...a wood stove. In Maine, I have a lot of wood to burn. A lot. If you live in Sweden or Arizona or Germany, I honestly don't know what your set up is. Please just make sure you are warm.

I hope Step 7 has started you thinking about light, heat and cooking power. I would love your feedback on what works for you and your suggestions for survival. I am listening! Again, these 12 Steps to Prep are to get you thinking about YOUR situation. They are not "how to's" -they are "do's." Keep the momentum... Prep On!






No comments:

Post a Comment