Monday, February 18, 2013

Step 10- Heirloom Seeds

My husband recommended we start purchasing heirloom seeds about six years ago. I never was on board with it, I have since changed my mind. So, of course, this is my idea! Ha!

There is a lot of protesting in this country (and around the world) in regards to the GMO movement in the modification of the food we eat. It scares me to death. I am not going to get into that here and now, but start looking at the battles going on in the news right now with the lawsuits and mudslinging with Monsanto. That information keeps me up at night.

Why bother, you ask? That is what I asked my husband all those years ago. Here are some points to ponder...

***better quality, taste and nutritional value
***when seeds are carefully nurtured, they can be passed down from generation to generation
***the legacy of the seeds you plant and the food you eat

Some of the seeds I have ordered this year date back hundreds of years. Direct seeds-nurtured and loved. Passed on and here today. It blows my mind! I could be planting a seed that came from a parent plant of John Adams. Fantastic.

I am a beginner in the area of heirloom seeds. I have never planted them, but this year I am. I have a long term supply of seeds for the end of the world and a short term supply to plant, grow and harvest this season. There are a lot of sources out there on the Internet, but some are a little squirrly. I want truth, data and facts.  My source for heirloom seeds is Baker Creek. You can check them out at: rareseeds.com.

Please let me know if you have experience in this area. If I can avoid pitfalls, I would love that. Otherwise, Constant Reader, I will be your pitfall gal.

Happy growing~

No comments:

Post a Comment