Thursday, February 28, 2013

Fur, Feathers and Fins

I often wonder what kinds of lengths people go to in order to care for their pets. I know that my daily duties here on the farm keep me hopping. I figure I do more work before I go to work than many people do all day. I am not complaining at all- it is my choice. It is just when I stop and add up the time, I get a little overwhelmed.

Here is my average day:



6:00 alarm- feed and give shots to my diabetic cat- Baby Girl. This is all quite new to us. She was a rescue animal, saved in the 11th hour and has had many, many years with us. All of a sudden- bam-diabetes. (I am looking for any advice you may have if you are dealing with this is your house).




As all of that goes on, our turtle, Scooter, slides off of his perch and begins swimming around his tank in a feeding frenzy. He gets to eat as many times as he wants. He lets us know and we are at his disposal for food distribution. He is a silent pet. He is in a 40 gallon tank with lights and filter. The lights blow out, the filter is changed weekly and the whole works is dumped, scrubbed and reinvented 4 times a year.




So now we are at approximately 6:15. Boots, jacket, gloves on and out into the elements. Sun, rain, snow, wind, below zero temperatures-it makes not one bit of difference. The sheep and goats are hungry and thirsty. It is up to me to water and feed them. In really bad weather, I have to slide down the hill to their barn and rouse them to the top of the hill where their food awaits-before the weather ruins all the grub. I have downsized my flock considerably in these past few years. I only have 4 goats and 3 sheep. With the cutting of the feet, shearing and other animal husbandry tasks, this number if animals is about all I have time for.

Also, if you have read my story about Blizzard, I really had no room left for such heartbreak. He was an amazing part of my life.




After all of the "big" animals are fed and watered, I let out the girls. My 27 hens. They bring, perhaps, the most enjoyment to the farm. I adore watching them in those late afternoons of summer as they flap and run to catch bugs and dig up remnants of left over food of the sheep and goats. They remind me so much of the chickens on Looney Tunes. Always gossiping. So much fun. The eggs are incredible for the small amount of time spent caring for them.


So, that is the first 45 minutes of my day. Then I head off to teach Kindergarten. I have quite the life! 

What kind of time commitments do your animals have on your life? They are SO worth it, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment