Saturday, February 16, 2013

Step 8- Go With-Its

There are things that I have ordered to add to my long term storage. I don't like to do it, I wish I didn't have to do it. The fact of the matter is that there are certain things that I simply can not do, or at least I would never be able to recreate what is sold for fairly short money-comparably.

We started with a sample package of a variety of food items from Ready Reserve here on the farm. http://www.readyreservefoods.com/
I would recommend having some of these items on hand for a complete and utter breakdown of your other food storage. I will say that it's taste and consistency are not at all like you could do on your own. Think-starving or nasty food- I still would choose nasty food. You are in charge of this step just like the 7 that came before. Make it fit your life.

Just recently, we ordered a variety pack of TVP (textured vegetable protein) from Honeyville.   http://honeyvillegrain.com/  It has taken a long time to finally order this item. I wish I had done it earlier. Delish! Mr. Sample made his famous hamburg/sausage meatloaf and added some TVP to the mixture. The kids (and adults) were beating their brains out to get more. I NEVER would have guessed! So...more TVP on the list for me. Let's see, I'm wondering what flavors I should get? Taco, chicken, beef, pepperoni, sausage, bbq, unflavored? Maybe a few of each.

The last worry I have is the area of dairy. I have stocked up on (way too much) powdered milk and I have chickens for eggs, but what if at some point I don't? I want to have security in any and all situations. I am saving up my egg money to get a dairy package. I want powdered eggs, powdered mayonaise, powdered ketchup, powdered shortening, powdered peanut butter and powdered butter on hand for cooking and comfort. That is just me. Baking is a hugely important part of my life, and if things are going to hell around me, I want to bake!

I'm adding this step because it is really and important piece of the puzzle. The more variety you have to choose from in the realm of eating, the happier you will be when the SHTF- or even just on a regular Saturday night. Again, you are driving...I'm just along for the ride!

1 comment: