Sunday, February 24, 2013

Bug Out Bags pt. 1 Mine





I have not put a lot of action into making my family's bug out bags. I HAVE put a ton of thought into the process, so I guess that means I have at least started. I am in no way an expert in creating bug out bags, I am just going to share my thought process and steps thus far. It will be up to you (as it always is as far as I'm concerned) to figure out your worse case scenarios and plan from there.

My worst case scenario is having to leave the farm at all. We have worked very hard at creating a safe, completely self sustaining paradise. I know the lay of the land and am comfortable in the protection of all that is here. I don't want to leave and I'm fairly certain that I won't have to. I live on the coast of Maine at the end of a peninsula. There is no "going through" my town. We have similar traits to island living and in that regard I just can't envision angry, hungry packs of people traveling the 15 miles out of their way in order to pillage my town. There is nothing to pillage. We have one, small grocery store, no train tracks, no big box stores and the majority of people who live here aren't prepared for much of anything. I feel very confident that I won't have to leave. BUT...

Never say never. What is the plan if I do? I am fortunate enough to have a cabin in the woods and am already working on long term sustainability for there as well. The problem, the cabin is 182 miles from my home. I am in the process of working through all of those scenarios and doing my best to put it all together. If you don't have a camp or other structure to escape to, do you have friends in different areas of your state or the country that would welcome you? How do you get there if there are no roads open?



My humble beginnings for the 2 bug out bags we are focusing on right now.

The time to think about all of this is now, not then. I know I can't think through every single thing that could happen to me if I venture away from my safe haven, but any plan is better than no plan at all. Tomorrow I will do an overview of what I have so far, what I still need to gather and some unexpected, inexpensive/free products you might not even be thinking about, but would miss if you suddenly found yourself without them. (Salt and pepper packets?)

Don't be a victim~


No comments:

Post a Comment