Friday, February 8, 2013

Blizzard Nemo??? Nah...


So, Winter Storm Nemo is swimming his way up the coast where I happen to be sitting and waiting for his arrival. We have about 8 inches right now, and he isn't even here yet! Being completely prepared for any and all emergencies, I must say that I am quite at my leisure.

Gardening is what I have on my mind. My new addiction to heirloom seeds drives me to research at every possible juncture. To sketch out and erase the planting areas (for all of these seeds) over and over again to get it all just right. I am missing some non-negotiable seeds, though. I have my long term storage that will never be touched until an emergency, then I have a variety pack that I ordered for getting this all off the ground. That is where I realize the holes in my planning.

Thankfully my Baker Creek Heirloom Seed catalog came a few weeks ago, leaving me in very good hands as far as excellent seed purchasing.   (http://rareseeds.com/)   My list so far includes; Atomic Red and St. Valery carrots, Golden Wax beans, Boothby'sBlonde and Boston Pickling cucumbers, and some sort of tomatoes. I already have cherry and golden tomatoes, but I want some reds.

Some yummy, hearty, well producing red tomatoes. Why am I having such difficulty making a decision about tomatoes? Because they have 31 pages dedicated to tomatoes. 215 different varieties. (Yes, I counted...I'm weird that way). Were you even aware that there are 215 different varieties of tomatoes in the world? I sure didn't. I am having a very difficult time deciding but I'm pretty sure that no matter which I choose, it will be perfect!

So, my east coast friends, I will be praying for your safety and warmth these next 48 hours as this little Nemo swims up the Atlantic coastline. Rest easy that I am sitting here in deep denial and dreaming about spring...

No comments:

Post a Comment