Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Step 5- First Aid

This is my most difficult step. It is such an important step, but I was not made to deal with emergency situations. That's why prepping is so important to me. Prepare- don't panic! Me? I faint at the sight of blood and get paralyzed when I see an accident. I see people running around and trying to help, and I admire that so much. If I tried to help like that, I would need someone to rescue me back.

Having said that, I am slowly building up my courage toward emergency situations. I recently took a CPR class. I will take a first aid class as soon as one comes to town. For now, I am gathering supplies. I made two mistakes off the bat. The first mistake, I bought a "complete" first aid kit from a camping supply store for $39.00. The second mistake I made was watching YouTube and taking advice from morons. I guess that makes me one as well, because I followed their logic. I spent $75.00 at a dollar store on first aid supplies. Sure, I have thousands of band aids (that don't stay stuck or absorb blood) and  5 boxes of qtips  (500 count) that are sharp sticks with such a ridiculously small amount of cotton on the ends.

I guess what I am suggesting is to buy quality products. Pay a tiny bit more for a huge difference in quality. We have started. This is what we have so far:

***a high quality, thorough first aid book- with lots of pictures

***ibuprofen, cold  and allergy medication

***prescription drugs

***antibiotic ointment, rubbing alcohol, peroxide

***Chapstic, Vaseline, sunblock

***bandages, band aids, assorted gauze pads, first aid tape

***small scissors, nail clippers, tweezers

***instant cold/hot packs

***cotton balls, qtips

This is a short list, but a good place to start. Remember, slow and steady steps. Go out an buy a box of band aids today and put them away in your store. Dig under your couch cushions and find that other pair of nail clippers. Place them aside. One step at a time.

One other thing. As you get more and more prepared you will start taking inventory of the people you know. I know some people who have medical training. I know they don't garden and don't have the food I have. The bartering that will begin after the breakdown of society is something we will talk about later. I welcome your ideas...

Prep On~

No comments:

Post a Comment