Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Step 11- Get Out Of Town!

People call them "Bug out bags", "72 hour bags", and "Emergency kits". I don't care if you call them, "Tip toe through the tulip kits," step 11 is all about gathering supplies and making up an emergency pack. I will admit, I have done a boat load of research on bug out bags (which is what I call them) and I have started putting four bags together, but I haven't completed them. I am hoping this will inspire me to finish. After the 12th step of this 12 Step Program Series, I will be doing a series on bug out bags. We will be getting down to the nitty-gritty and going through many different scenarios that you may find yourself in. For now, as with the ten steps you have come through so far, this is to spark an interest and encourage you to start being in the drivers seat of your preparedness.

Bug out bags are intended for disaster situations. Times that you need to leave your home or are being held under a mandatory evacuation by your government. (If you choose to leave). They are another safety net for you. As I have told you, I seize up in emergencies. I wasn't built for them, but if all I have to do is grab and go, it takes all of the stress out of running around trying to figure out what I need to pack and oh, you only have ten minutes to do so!

These kits are going to be as individualized as your family is so you will need to add things that are specific to your families needs. There are still some basics that every bag should carry. They include:

***backpack or suitcase to put items into
***sleeping bag or blanket
***battery powered radio and flashlight- batteries, too!
***light stick, candles, matches
***small first aid kit
***pocketknife
***whistle
***wet wipes, sanitary items, hygiene items
***3 days of water and ready to eat food
***extra changes of clothing

Now, this is where the items for your pack can and will change deciding on so many different scenarios. Again, my next series will go into those details. I just want to plant the seed and have you start looking around your house. Ask yourself... "If I had to evacuate my home in 15 minutes, what would I take?" I promise that little exercise will propel you to the first step in you creating at least one bug out bag!

Prep On~

2 comments:

  1. I must admit, I haven't done well on this step but it does get me thinking about it! Thank You Sarah for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rusty! More coming soon!

    ReplyDelete