Monday, February 4, 2013

Maine Shrimp

Maine's shrimping season (trapping) starts tomorrow. Let the good times roll! Did you know that upwards of 90% of the harvest of shrimp comes from my beautiful coast of Maine?

Unfortunately, the fisherman continue to get slammed with rules and regulations and their season for catching shrimp is incredibly short.

Fortunately, I have placed my order and am praying that the catch will be large and the allowable days will be many. My Dad was a fisherman for his whole life and that is one thing we always prayed for. The fishing industry is not as fortunate these days as he used to be in regards to governmental interference.

I'm not sure I can think of any other food to eat as much as I enjoy shrimp. Boiled, fried, sauteed and bake stuffed. I'm drooling already!

If you are lucky enough to get some shrimp this season, here are a couple of recipes that you may enjoy.


                                     Shrimp Saute

                        1/4 cup butter             1/2 tsp. salt

                       1 minced clove garlic  pepper to taste
   
                       1 1/2 lbs. deveined, shelled shrimp

                        1/3 cup snipped parsley

In large skillet, melt butter. Add garlic and salt. Saute until garlic is browned. Add shrimp. Saute until shrimp are pink on all sides. Sprinkle with pepper, add parsley. Cook 1 minute. Serve with lemon juice.

 Enjoy~
                                                                                  


                                Baked Shrimp with Stuffing

Cut shrimp through the back to lay flat in the pan (butterfly). Arrange shrimp in a shallow baking dish in such a way that they don't touch each other. Put a spoonful of dressing on each shrimp. Top with another shrimp (cut in the same fashion) and add another spoonful of stuffing. Toothpick them together and dab them with butter. You can also put them under the broiler in just a single layer if you prefer.

Stuffing: 2 cups bread cubes, 2 tbs. minced onion, 2 tbs. butter, 1 tsp. parsley, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. sage, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Soak bread, press out water, brown onion in butter. Add butter and seasonings to crumbs.

Enjoy~

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I did not add a time for cooking the Baked shrimp with stuffing. The recipe adheres to the way my brilliant grandmothers both cooked. "It is done when it is done, Sarah. You can't rush perfection." So, Constant Reader, I promise that when I get my paws on my shrimp, I will do a photo display of the process and give you my cooking time for it!!!
    If you have made this recipe before and know the timing, please chime in!!!

    ReplyDelete