Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Step 4- Sanitation

Many people leave the sanitation portion of prepping until the end, or near the bottom of the list. I don't agree. I think when you are beginning your food store and water storage, the next logical step is sanitation. You can die from lack of food, lack of water and lack of clean surroundings.

You can do as little or as much as you want, but I want you to start making a list after reading this. What does providing a sanitary place for your family in an emergency situation look like for you?

For me it looks like this...

***A 5-gallon bucket, complete with a toilet seat lid and garbage bags to use as liners.

***Toilet paper, wet wipes and sanitary napkins

***Bleach, soap (hand, laundry, dish), shampoo

***toothbrushes, toothpaste

***we already have a washboard, wash bucket and clothesline

***paper plates, cups and napkins (the less dishes you need to do, the happier everyone will be. No one is going to look down on you for being environmentally insensitive when you are in survival mode, and if they do, show them the door. They don't belong with you and your stuff.)

If you have a baby, you will need to add diapers, if you have a houseful of women, you will need to store a houseful of feminine products. Tailor it to your family. Small steps, remember?

We are currently looking at plans for building an outhouse with a removable barrel for ease of burning the waste and a dasher washer.

 I want the dasher washer just because it looks like a fantastic upper body workout and it will be a lot of fun! Check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyRMuQ_8oj0
(I guess that would be a more end of the world item than a disaster item, but I really want one!)

So as you are making your list for where you want to start in this step, think back to Step 3- water. Look at all of these supplies that you have that require water to carry them out. Have you ever done a load of laundry without water? See what I mean about being ready for any emergency?

I think I am fortunate for growing up with a camp in northern, rural Maine. I was never disgusted with using an outhouse or washing out clothes in a bucket and scrubbing them on a rock and hanging them out. You do what you do when you are required to do it. I am requiring you to do this. I care about you and your family. I want you to be powerful-not pitiful. I want you to take these small, incremental steps toward sustaining your family in a time of crisis. Now get that piece of paper and write down one thing you are going to purchase/put aside/find in a closet somewhere that will propel you to take control of Step 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment